SMC91111 performance and copyright

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Sun Mar 16 19:08:41 UTC 2014

On Mar 15, 2014, at 18:01 , Joel Sherrill <Joel.Sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:

> There are three pieces and I may have confused you.
>
> + current stack in tree
> + some add on drivers with porting kit
> + new dual mode stack
>
> I do not think there is an smc driver in the add on kit. I just thought if you decided to use a new driver with the old stack, it would be a good reference.
>
> The new stack may be an option. It would have the latest drivers but has not been tuned at all. We know it is larger than the current stack but I do not know if the performance has been measured.
>
> I am not recommending a solution. Just offering more possibilities.

This is something I'll be using in production in the June timeframe, so moving to the new stack isn't an option.  I'll look at improving the performance of the current driver.  I think that on the MPC5554 it just gets overloaded and stops responding, causing re-transmissions.  I still have at least two questions:

- Is the performance acceptable on the SPARC?
- Is the copyright understood?  There is no copyright on the existing code, which I think comes from eCOS.

[dufault at flipper network]$ grep -i copyright smc*
[dufault at flipper network]$

Searching for constants defined in the header file show later-dated headers with a GPL derived copyright that include the following language.  The requirement to provide the source code is, I think, different from what RTEMS usually states, and is something I should bring to the attention of my clients.  I'd like to see clear copyrights put into the files.

00029 // As a special exception, if other files instantiate templates or use macros
00030 // or inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it
00031 // with other works to produce a work based on this file, this file does not
00032 // by itself cause the resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public
00033 // License. However the source code for this file must still be made available
00034 // in accordance with section (3) of the GNU General Public License.

Peter
Peter Dufault