TCP/IP update, possible SMP (GSOC 2014)

Daniel Ramirez javamonn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 07:30:57 UTC 2014

On Mar 3, 2014 1:13 AM, "Sebastian Huber" <

> On 2014-02-28 17:09, Daniel Ramirez wrote:
>>
>>         Work that needs to be done within the scheduler API that would
enable SMP.

>>     The work on the clustered/partitioned scheduling is on my high
priority
>>     list, so I hope that the scheduler API will be stable before the GSoC
>>     starts.  I will provide only a fixed priority scheduler.
>>

>> So are you suggesting that work on (or within) the clustered/partitioned
>> scheduler could possibly be an acceptable gsoc project? Or that projects
>> requiring a stable scheduler API would be acceptable?
>

> The plan is that I am finished with the clustered/partition scheduling in
May, this is when the GSoC coding starts.

You were planning to implement thread restart/delete as well, correct?

>> One more SMP related idea I thought would really be interesting would be
to add
>> fine grained locking support. I'm just looking for an area that I can
start
>> really studying and narrow down a proposal.
>

> The fine grained locking exists currently only as a rough sketch.
>
> http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php?title=SMP#Fine_Grained_Locking
>
> We have to re-structure large parts of the critical sections.  My hope is
that once it is implemented for events and semaphores it will be relatively
easy to do it for the other objects.  You need a good understanding of the
inner workings of the RTEMS kernel.

> --
> Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

> Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16