TCP/IP update, possible SMP (GSOC 2014)

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Mar 3 07:13:29 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-28 17:09, Daniel Ramirez wrote:
>         Work that needs to be done within the scheduler API that would enable SMP.
>

>     The work on the clustered/partitioned scheduling is on my high priority
>     list, so I hope that the scheduler API will be stable before the GSoC
>     starts.  I will provide only a fixed priority scheduler.
>

> So are you suggesting that work on (or within) the clustered/partitioned
> scheduler could possibly be an acceptable gsoc project? Or that projects
> requiring a stable scheduler API would be acceptable?

The plan is that I am finished with the clustered/partition scheduling in May,
this is when the GSoC coding starts.

> One more SMP related idea I thought would really be interesting would be to add
> fine grained locking support. I'm just looking for an area that I can start
> really studying and narrow down a proposal.

The fine grained locking exists currently only as a rough sketch.

http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php?title=SMP#Fine_Grained_Locking

We have to re-structure large parts of the critical sections.  My hope is that
once it is implemented for events and semaphores it will be relatively easy to
do it for the other objects.  You need a good understanding of the inner
workings of the RTEMS kernel.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de