GSoC 2014 | Poring RTEMS for OpenRISC

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Mar 3 16:54:27 UTC 2014

Hesham,

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Hesham Moustafa
<heshamelmatary at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Joel Sherrill <Joel.Sherrill at oarcorp.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Mar 3, 2014 8:23 AM, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hesham,
>> >
>> > The first question to figure out is why was the older port dropped.
>>
>> This I can answer. The tool chain rotted and had no maintainer. I also
>> recall not having a simulator to test on.
>>
>> The final issue was some discrepancy between multiple openrisc CPU
>> projects where I thought the focus on the architecture we had a port to was
>> losing interest from them.
>
> Thanks Dr Joel, I also wanted to know the answer :)
> Was this architecture OpenRISC 1000 or another core ?
If the toolchain is up-to-date and there are simulator and real hw
architecture supported, then it can be a feasible project to do a
port.

>> > The second is what is your interest in porting to OpenRISC?
>
> Because I have been working on the last few months on FPGA project ( mips
> microprocessor).
> I wanted to port an OS to an opensource processor, and OpenRISC architecture
> is mature enough to port a complex RTOS like RTEMS.
>>
>> And who would use it?
>
> People using black box OpenRISC and others interested in Digital design,
> Computer architecture and
> HW/SW interfacing. Something like xilinx zynq ? except that both OpenRISC
> and RTEMS are opensource.
If OpenRISC has settled on a specific reference architecture and has
an adequately active community, then a port would be acceptable.

>> Long term a port needs to be to a viable architecture from a "is it alive"
>> view  this includes the cpu, tools, a way for us to test, etc
>
> Sure, that's what I hope to work on.
In order to have a chance that your proposal will be accepted, you
will need to demonstrate that the openrisc tools work for recent gcc /
newlib with an adequate simulator. Based on wikipedia, you should be
able to cross-compile Linux for the OpenRISC to run on Qemu, or you
may like to just try to get a bare-metal application to run in the
simulator.

Gedare