RFC Eliminate Use of Task Variables in cpukit

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Mar 6 23:33:20 UTC 2014

On 7/03/2014 7:31 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 3/6/2014 1:57 PM, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com> wrote:
>>> + c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/mvme5500/vectors/exceptionhandler.c
>>>    - ???
>> It looks like this bsp permits installing per-task exception handlers.
>> This seems pretty iffy to me, but the powerpc/mvme5500 users should be
>> consulted whether they use or need this feature. I would vote to
>> deprecate it for the next release and then eliminate it altogether if
>> no one pipes up that it is desired.
> It is just a uniprocessor board so not a huge concern to me but it is an
> oddly general feature to add at a BSP level.

I agree this is not related to this thread and not a concern here.

I think this code should be removed from the BSP. It undermines the
deterministic feature of RTEMS on this BSP. Any users of it can add the
code to their application.

Personally I think the task variable API should be tagged for removal
and then removed from RTEMS because it promotes incompatible APIs
between SMP and non-SMP user code. There is a safe and supported
alternative that should be used.