GSoC2014 project question

Fri Mar 14 16:23:03 UTC 2014

On 3/13/2014 8:52 PM, Janek van Oirschot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm Janek van Oirschot and I'm interested in contributing to the RTEMS
> project as GSoC student. I hope I'm not too late with applying for any
> projects. I have found a project I'm interested in doing but I still
> have a few questions.

This project was started by another student last summer so you should
familiarize
yourself with where it ended. Using Pok as the ARINC-653 services and
partition manager
with RTEMS able to run inside a partition.

He had some things running but there has been a lot of discussion on how to
merge what he has, how to package it, etc. The current issue centers on
you need the system call .h file and assistance code from Pok as part of
the RTEMS build.

But even after that, making this all usable to a real user is a serious
issue.

Fetch and run Pok and RTEMS separately as they exist today. You likely
won't have time to get Philip's work going to see where it ended.

Search the RTEMS development list archives for virtualization.
> The project that piqued my interest was this
> <http://www.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/ARINC653API> project about
> implementing the intra-partition ARINC 653 calls. I have experience
> with implementing a small subset of ARINC 653-p4 calls on another RTOS
> but the subset I implemented didn't consist of the majority of
> intra-partition calls (really, I just implemented queuing/sampling
> ports and a small bit of tasks).

What is p4? P1 is the APEX APIs, P2 is the extensions like Logbook,
P3 is the testing requirements.

My recollection is that P4 is a reduced P1 but that could be wrong.

Pok currently has most of P1 but always could use more support.
And our focus is on what I call RTEMS-653. RTEMS POSIX in some
partitions, APEX calls in others. This is the model in the FACE standard
(http://www.opengroup.org/face) which defines a reference architecture
centered on ARINC 653 and POSIX OS services.
> So my first question is, would it be possible to finish this project
> if considering that 40~50% of the time available to code for GSoC I'll
> still have school. My university's summer break start begin July and
> the start for coding, according to the GSoC timeline, starts on May
> 19th. This doesn't mean I'm completely unable to code while I got
> school, it'll just not be as much as after start July~end of August.
> Alternatively, if ARINC 653 would be too much to implement in such a
> short time, implementing the same subset of calls for ARINC653-p4
> might be an option (just a suggestion).

I can't speak for how much time this will take you. I can say the primary
focus of this task is not to implement the 653 services -- it is to get
RTEMS applications and APEX based applications running side by
side in partitions with Pok as the partition manager.

> Second question, is it assumed that I have the ARINC 653 specification
> document? When I worked with ARINC 653 previously I remember not being
> able to find the specification online. The company I interned at
> provided the proper documents to allow me to implement the ARINC
> 653-p4 calls.

It is not available online. But since you wouldn't be implementing the
services, you wouldn't need it. The focus is on integration, ensuring
proper behavior of both RTEMS and Pok tests when integrated
and running together, and finding a way to present this to the user
in a way that is approachable.

I hope this helps.