gdbarmsim: iostream fails.

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon May 26 12:28:41 UTC 2014

On 26/05/2014 12:44 pm, Chris Johns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have pushed changes to the gdbarmsim. These changes plus the no-isr v2
> patch give the following results:
>
> Passed:   448
> Failed:     0
> Timeouts:   2
> Invalid:    1
> -------------
> Total:    451
>
> Timeouts:
>   spfatal26.exe
>   sp54.exe
> Invalid:
>   cxx_iostream.exe
> Testing time: 0:04:20.781195
>
> The iostream sample test is failing because it clears the workspace and
> it is exposing an issue. If I define BSP_GET_WORK_AREA_DEBUG in the
> bsp.h the iostream test passes. With out BSP_GET_WORK_AREA_DEBUG the
> executable is 256 bytes less and the workspace is 256 bytes larger. I do
> not know why this makes a difference.
>
> The failure is due to the mknod call to create the console node failing
> because the node name is all null characters. The call is
> shared/console-polled.c:78:
>
>    status = rtems_io_register_name( "/dev/console", major, 0 );
>
> and inside rtems_io_register_name the name is empty.
>
> The call to _Workspace_Handler_initialization seems fine and the
> workspace is cleared without a problem however the next call to
> RTEMS_Malloc_Initialize results in the string being cleared.
>
> Any hints ?

It turns out the problem was the start.S in gdbarmsim was not compatible
with the linkercmds files so I have replaced the old start.S with the
common ARM start up code and pushed the change. The results now are:

Passed:   450
Failed:     0
Timeouts:   1
Invalid:    0
Total:    451

Timeouts:
  spfatal26.exe
Testing time: 0:04:18.455086

I think spfatal26 should not be built for this BSP as I suspect the gdb
simulator is not generating exceptions for misaligned accesses. Yes or no ?