libdl: rtems.git dependence on rtems-tools.git

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Tue Nov 4 14:56:48 UTC 2014

On October 30, 2014 9:18:29 PM CDT, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>> On 31/10/2014 6:42 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:

>rtems-tools.git/linkers.
>build

>supported
>rtems-tools.git
>to the

>who
>>

>> Yes. Libdl only builds for the architectures there is relocation
>support
>> for.
>>
>>> The documentation on self-built tools, and whatever process we have
>>> for the "authoritative tools" guide should include notes regarding
>>> this.
>>

>> Sure. Do you have guide ?
>>
>Nope. There are some instructions under doc/started that come to mind.
>I don't know that we currently have a defined authoritative guide to
>building tools, as such.

That was the authoritative guide but needs updating. Probably greatly simplified.

The primary recommendation for 4.11 is going to be RSB with some hints that there is support for some supporting programs and add on libraries for the target. This will be short and a series of pointers.

Then some info on cloning RTEMS, and pointers.

I don't see mentioning instructions for hand building.  The arguments to the GCC configure are horribly long now. Many are Newlib specific for iconv settings.

And I don't think we support binaries so that goes.

If there are windows specific advice, we can point them to help.

I think a very reduced getting started should exist. It has always been in the list of docs so something minimal with pointers needs to still be there.