Trac Ticket Management

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Sun Nov 23 15:28:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

TL;DR: Trac tickets are in a good state. We need to close or bump the
4.11 milestones before release. I'd like to discuss a proposal to
organize the Trac Tickets better.

One of the appeals of Trac is that it is simple.There are a six ways
I'd like to see our use of trac ticket management become more
manageable.

First, the components are too varied: see
https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2196 . I'd like to see the following
components, please comment on whether some are missing, or some are
not needed. Some of these may be simpler to identify after we
reorganize the repository too.

RTEMS (rtems.git) components:
* One component for each architecture family; for problems that affect
those archs or their bsps
* no_arch -- kitchen sink of arch-independent code: maintainers must
triage these to assign
* testsuites
* Build System -- for Autotools and related issues, and later, Waf

Support components:
* Compiler Toolchain -- for GCC, Binutils, Newlib
* Documentation -- inclusive of all documentation-related issues
* Trac -- developer wiki, ticket system, etc.
* Web -- www and ftp issues

RTEMS Project (*.git) components:
* RTEMS Coverage
* RTEMS Examples -- easier if we merge all example repos
* RTEMS Graphics Toolkit
* RTEMS libbsd
* RTEMS Scheduler Simulator
* RTEMS Source Builder
* RTEMS Tools
* RTEMS Tester
* ...

Adding/Removing Components should be locked to admins (if it isn't),
and should be done by agreement.

Second, there are too many choices for priority and severity. We only
need 3 levels for each: low, normal, high. They can have different
names, but 3 is sufficient.

Third, we should fix Version to get rid of "unknown", "HEAD", and "".
Tickets must be associated with a version, default to the current
release series name, e.g. right now 4.11 (but soon 5.0).

Fourth, we should get rid of the "" in Milestone. Every ticket must be
given a Milestone.

Fifth, I'm not sure about the value of "keywords". I'd just as soon
eliminate it.

Sixth, finally, I'd rather just see two choices for Type, "defect" and
"enhancement". A ticket either identifies something broken, or
proposes something new. "task" is an enhancement as it encompasses
something to do that improves RTEMS Project. "infra" may be either,
and Component should identify the infrastructure that is affected.

I think that covers it. Feedback? Approval?

-Gedare