Google Code-In Mentors

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Wed Oct 1 14:38:58 UTC 2014

Hi

Although it has not been announced and is not sure to happen,
I would like to make sure we have begun to plan for Google
Code-In. This is a program for high school students and the
tasks are small.

We have participated three years and we have had success but
it requires preparation on having tasks and mentors ready.

We need plenty of mentors and this year, I would like to try
having a mentor or two specifically assigned to a class of
tasks. This way you are basically watching a specific queue
of task types, reviewing and either merging or queuing for
merger.

Last year, we got a lot done related to adding Doxygen headers,
more timing tests, and addressing some C99 compliance issues
in newlib header files.  Last year, I put the task sets and scripts
to generate a CSV to import to the GCI site on github.

https://github.com/joelsherrill/gci_tasks

If we have a task set that involves lots of cases (e.g. files, etc), a
script can generate the individual tasks and instructions can
be on the Wiki. This lets us the instructions as we move the
program.

But we need mentors and task set ideas. Without enough of
either, there is no point in considering this.