Capture Engine - Addition of capture task information to the capture buffer

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Sep 4 18:00:41 UTC 2014

On 9/4/2014 12:57 PM, Jennifer Averett wrote:

> Chris suggested the following approach:
>

> >Another approach could involve adding the task data to the trace
> buffer when the first reference
>
> > to the task is added to the trace buffer. You would add the task
> data tagging it with some sort of "id".
>
> > When added events related to the task the "id" is used. The trace
> buffer decoder extracts the task data
>
> > building a suitable table to decode the following "id" references.
> There is a small extra bump filling the
>
> > trace buffer with the task details but this is the cost of tracing
> in software. This approach helps solves
>
> > the problem of off board streaming of the trace data.
>

> Using this approach are there any suggestions for how the capture
> control information currently
>
> accessed through the capture task would be handled?

Piling on... most of the information in the capture engine's task
control blocks
can be logged statically on task create. BUT... there is also trigger
information
in there. Where should that be now?

Jennifer is plowing ahead logging variable length records and eliminating
fields in the capture task control but we don't see how to get rid of
all of it.