Porting CANFestival to RTEMS

Pavel Pisa pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
Mon Aug 24 23:03:48 UTC 2015

Hello Gedare,

On Friday 21 of August 2015 16:46:41 Gedare Bloom wrote:
> I believe CANFestival comes from Pavel Pisa's group. He is active with
> RTEMS and interested in pushing forward CAN improvements, but time is
> always a problem. He's on vacation but may get to this thread after he
> gets back.

no CANfestival is work of unrelated our university departmen
and my company work. I have only contributed minimal
LinCAN interfacing long time ago. Then even met CANfestival
developers on some conferences and spoken with them.
Some of my colleagues have used CANfestival on master
and slave side to build distributed control system
where code has been generated from Matlab/Simulink.
Some document and archive code of that project can be read
from lintarget site
   http://lintarget.sourceforge.net/
but that CANfestival part has not be ported to actual version
of ert_linux Simulink support distribudet from Lintatget project.

So generally, I have some knowledge about CANfestival,
it has advantage that it is relatively simple and easy
to understood but I have not done much with it personally.

Our group CAN/CANopen work can be found in OrtCAN project

  http://ortcan.sourceforge.net/

but it tries to be dynamic and runtime configurable
and because we have contracts and demands in different
areas now - mostly automotive, we do not have resources
to push it much forward now.

But CANfestival is good choice for devices and basic
CANopen SDO communication state automata can be used
even for master which communicate with runtime configurable
structure of slaves. Similar state automata can be found
in OrtCAN VCA library as well and reused, but set is much
more complex.

Best wishes,

                Pavel