[SPAM] Re: Self-contained one purpose objects

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Thu Jul 23 11:51:46 UTC 2015

On 7/23/2015 6:36 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 23/07/15 12:29, Chris Johns wrote:
>> I feel this needs to be a real API not a pseudo-internal API. Making
>> this an API means the project agrees to support the API, it has tests
>> and we have to make sure it is working for a release. Oh and it has
>> documentation.
>
> For an API I suggest to use C11/C++11:
>
> http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/thread
>
> For GCC this is done via this API:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/trunk/libgcc/gthr.h?revision=219188&view=markup

So to parrot back a simple version of what you are proposing.

+ Add simple, self-contained objects for use in supporting
   performance critical support components (e.g. FreeBSD,
   gcc, newlib, OpenMP).
+ I assume that other language run-time layers may benefit
   from this.
+ Use these lighter objects to reimplement gxx wrappers.

One question is how much of the C11/C++11 threading and synchronization
will be covered by self-contained objects.