[SPAM] Re: Self-contained one purpose objects

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jul 23 11:59:35 UTC 2015

On 23/07/15 13:51, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On 7/23/2015 6:36 AM, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 23/07/15 12:29, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> I feel this needs to be a real API not a pseudo-internal API. Making
>>> this an API means the project agrees to support the API, it has tests
>>> and we have to make sure it is working for a release. Oh and it has
>>> documentation.
>>
>> For an API I suggest to use C11/C++11:
>>
>> http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/thread
>>
>> For GCC this is done via this API:
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/trunk/libgcc/gthr.h?revision=219188&view=markup
>>

> So to parrot back a simple version of what you are proposing.
>
> + Add simple, self-contained objects for use in supporting
>   performance critical support components (e.g. FreeBSD,
>   gcc, newlib, OpenMP).
> + I assume that other language run-time layers may benefit
>   from this.
> + Use these lighter objects to reimplement gxx wrappers.
>
> One question is how much of the C11/C++11 threading and synchronization
> will be covered by self-contained objects.

Covered by self-contained objects would be:

* mutexes
* semaphores
* condition variables
* general futex support

NOT covered would be:

* threads
* POSIX keys

I theory we could also do this for threads as well, but this is quite
labour intensive. For POSIX keys, thread-local storage (TLS) could be
used instead.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de