Branching 4.11

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Mar 13 13:30:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
> On 11/03/2015 1:33 am, Amar Takhar wrote:
>>
>> Can we come up with a plan for branching 4.11?
>>
>> We need to push off any commits made that are unrelated to tickets open in
>> milestone 4.11 to the next release.  This way any changes we make have a
>> narrow
>> scope.
>>
>> This close to the release we should really be in a slush period then a
>> hard
>> close once all issues are resolved and we are working on the release
>> process.
>>
>> Any commits after branching should only be related to getting 4.11 out.
>>

> I think we are in a slushy period and so we should be narrowing down
> changes.
>
> A couple of major issues:
>
>  1. We need a suitable newlib snapshot to reference.
>  2. We need to move to gdb-7.9 so we can at least build Windows
>     tools on Windows. GDB 7.9 does not build for SPARC with our
>     local patches.

I would like to consider landing the drvmgr and pci patch-set as a
sparc-specific feature (e.g. only included in builds for sparc.) The
code is effectively being used by sparc users already via RCC. The bad
thing is it is a lot of "untested code" (from an RTEMS Project
perspective), but we have no means to test it effectively anyways
since it is all hardware-dependent.