Branching 4.11

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at oarcorp.com
Fri Mar 13 13:36:15 UTC 2015

On March 13, 2015 8:30:46 AM CDT, Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:
>> On 11/03/2015 1:33 am, Amar Takhar wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we come up with a plan for branching 4.11?
>>>
>>> We need to push off any commits made that are unrelated to tickets
>open in
>>> milestone 4.11 to the next release.  This way any changes we make
>have a
>>> narrow
>>> scope.
>>>
>>> This close to the release we should really be in a slush period then
>>> hard
>>> close once all issues are resolved and we are working on the release
>>> process.
>>>
>>> Any commits after branching should only be related to getting 4.11
>out.
>>>

>> I think we are in a slushy period and so we should be narrowing down
>> changes.
>>
>> A couple of major issues:
>>
>>  1. We need a suitable newlib snapshot to reference.

Sebastian wants the next snapshot.

And apparently he needs to add a gcc patch to the RSB if he wants the one he posted to be used.

>>  2. We need to move to gdb-7.9 so we can at least build Windows
>>     tools on Windows. GDB 7.9 does not build for SPARC with our
>>     local patches.

Yep.

There are other target specific issues I am willing to branch with though. The moxie tool situation being one.

>I would like to consider landing the drvmgr and pci patch-set as a
>sparc-specific feature (e.g. only included in builds for sparc.) The
>code is effectively being used by sparc users already via RCC. The bad
>thing is it is a lot of "untested code" (from an RTEMS Project
>perspective), but we have no means to test it effectively anyways
>since it is all hardware-dependent.

I think this is acceptable given Daniel H's commitment and a pretense of a plan of how to approach it moving forward. There is good stuff in it but it needs to be generalized.