Minimum RTEMS system clock frequency

Alexander Krutwig alexander.krutwig at embedded-brains.de
Fri Mar 20 08:40:50 UTC 2015

On 20/03/15 01:54, Chris Johns wrote:

> On 20/03/2015 11:27 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>> 20 Hz is a 50 millisecond period.
>>

> Ah, thanks. I read it on a phone as 20KHz and was confused and did not
> reread.
>
>> I have assumed that he meant this was the largest clock tick time
>> quantum which is reasonable to configure.
20 Hz is supposed to be the slowest frequency the rtems_clock_tick()
should be called.

> 50msec is fine with me even on a slow cpu clock speed.
>

>> Why is that?

At the moment, I think 20 Hz are needed to ensure a correct
functionality of the 10 timehands structure. Further explanation
is given in the currently last comment of the ticket
(https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/2271#comment:9).

> Also I wonder what the code size trade off is for small memory targets
> compared to what we currently have ?
>
> Chris

Alex

embedded brains GmbH