4.11 Release Description Help Needed

Pavel Pisa pisa at cmp.felk.cvut.cz
Sun May 24 09:20:59 UTC 2015

Hello Joel,

On Saturday 23 of May 2015 16:44:09 Joel Sherrill wrote:
> Hi
>
> A LOT has happened since our last release. The release
> page (https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Release/4.11) has a
> lot of the changes listed but a quick scan shows that
> at least:
>
> + SMP not mentioned
> + dynamic loading not mentioned
> + or1k not mentioned
> +epiphany not mentioned
> + other new BSPs missing? tms570 missing for sure

I would suggest to mark tms570 BSP as experimental/minimal still
until it is updated to build with actual Premysl Houdek's
headers files. This task is still pending.

Should I update that in Wiki?

I am unhappy that we have not get to new headers for 4.11
release but that is lost case now. Question is, if change
can be introduced/backported to the stable release later.

> + rtems-tester not mentioned
> + RSB only mentioned because I added some
> + recent timekeeping work missing
> + shell improvements looks too short
> + What else?

The significant enhancement is ability to run RTEMS
in graphic mode on contemporary PC hardware - VESA Bios
Extension support by Jan Dolezal. I would be happy if his
latest changes to enable this support gets in because they
make VBE framebuffer the default. Analysis of the patches
inclusion

 - the change arrived quite late so it is a little risky
   that some problem is not found before release (but x86
   with graphics is not commonly used)
 + the VBE selected as default simplifies configuration
   for user
 + inclusion now has advantage, that only single set
   of instructions need to be prepared. Else 4.11 ones
   would be different/more complicated than 4.12 release
   when configuration is simplified

Best wishes,

              Pavel