Porting ethernet driver from FREEBSD to rtems-libbsd

ragu nath ragunath3252 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:14:58 UTC 2015

Hi Ben,

I  found the reason for system hang in BBB after link goes up. It is
caused by enabling the interrupt before it is  processed creating a
continuous flow of interrupts hogging the CPU.

In rtems-libbsd we do not directly call the interrupt handler. we
create an event through interrupt trigger routine and then the server
task detects the event and calls the actual intr handler.  While
registering the interrupt, we will give this trigger routine as
handler. Server task separately calls the actual intr handler.

In BBB irq processing (bsp_interrupt_dispatch function), we disable
the vector and  call the handler and enable it.
For network interrupt intr, this handler will be interrupt trigger
routine which creates an event. After this intr is enabled but the
interrupt was not processed. The intr was supposed to be enabled by
the server task after processing the interrupt. This causes the hang.

The irq dispatch function assumes that we are calling the actual intr
handler and enables the interrupt. But since we are processing the
interrupt in a separate server task, it needs to be enabled there not
in the dispatch function.

As a temp fix, I selectively disabled bsp_interrupt_vector_enable in
dispatch function. There is no hang and packets are received.

What can be the correct fix for the issue as there are other
interrupts that are not  processed in this way?

Thanks,
Ragunath

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM, ragu nath <ragunath3252 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you. I will check the git log. I am also inclined to using nexus
> support. I already compiled the driver using nexus support. I fully
> intend to add more documentation to the project. I will keep posting
> on this thread if I have any further issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Ragunath
>

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>> You have two options.
>>
>> 1. You port simplebus to libbsd. I tried this before and its not done in one
>> day.
>>
>> 2. You get rid of all simplebus dependencies in the driver and use the
>> libbsd nexus support. This is normally done in a couple of minutes with the
>> use some hacks to get the FDT provided parameters.
>>
>> To get an idea how a driver is ported see git log and look at all commits
>> containing "if_cgem" in the subject.
>>
>> Please help to improve the documentation (libbsd.txt) while you work on this
>> topic.
>>

>> On 15/05/15 08:27, ragu nath wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> My name is ragunath. I am selected for Google Summer of Code 2015 with
>>> RTEMS. I will be working on improving Beagle BSP.
>>>
>>> I am in the process of porting ethernet driver for Beaglebone black
>>> from FreeBSD to rtems-libbsd.  I would like to know what are the
>>> necessary changes we need to make to add a driver. BBB is based on ARM
>>> Am335x SoC.
>>>
>>> What are the bsp specific changes we need to do (bus support api's,
>>> interrupt support, etc)? I understand all the devices are under nexus
>>> device in rtems-libbsd. In the FreeBSD code, it is under simplebus.
>>> What are the changes we need to do to take care of this?
>>>
>>> If there is any documentation available on this topic pls let me know.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Ragunath

--
ragu