Participation in GSoC 2016

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Jan 15 15:47:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:57 AM, Darshit Shah <darnir at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> My name is Darshit Shah and I'd like to (potentially) be a part of the
> RTEMS project for GSoC 2016. I know that the organization applications
> open only next month, but I'm assuming that you will apply again this
> year and be selected as well.
>
> I'm sending this email to the devel mailing list since it mostly
> concerns development of RTEMS and may not be of wide interest to the
> audience of the users list.
>
> As of now, I have been through quite a bit of the Getting Started
> documentation available on the wiki, and have managed to set up a
> working environment for SPARC/SIS. The wiki says prospective students
> need to provide proof of setting up the environment. I've attached a
> patch file for the Hello World test program that I modified along with
> a screenshot after I ran it with `sparc-rtems4.11-run` instead of the
> gdb session as is shown on the wiki page. Please do let me know if I
> need to provide anything else.
Use 4.12 tools to build the master now. You don't need to resend the "proof".

> I've seen that the preferred method of sending patches to this mailing
> list is via git send-email which would send the patches inline.
> Currently my msmtp authentication is broken for some reason and hence
> I'm unable to use git send-email directly. And pasting a patch in
> Gmail is known to cause multiple issues. I'll fix my setup soon and be
> able to send future patches directly via the command line.

Attaching the patches are fine.

> I'd also like to discuss about prospective open projects. I've been
> through the Open Projects page and found a few that I'd be interested
> in. Please do let me know if they're still available and if there's
> continued interest in seeing them fulfilled. I'm listing them in no
> particular order:
>
> 1. POSIX Compliance Test Suite:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/POSIXComplianceTestSuite
> 2. Using Clang: https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/UsingClang
> 3. Condition Variables:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/Condition_Variables
> 4. Nested Mutexes:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/StrictOrderMutex
> 5. Paravirtualization:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/Paravirtualization
> 6. Improve POSIX Compliance:
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/POSIXCompliance

Avoid 2 for now, until we replace autotools with waf the ability to
use clang is complicated by certain gcc-isms in our build and
configuration files.

4 was more or less done, although not merged yet... You can consider
re-implementing Linux's approach to 4 if you like, but it may not be
particularly compelling.

5 is iffy.

1 and 6 are somewhat interesting coding projects.

> The above listed projects seem rather more interesting to me from the
> entire list and I would not mind working on any of them. I am open to
> other project suggestions as well. Since, I haven't played around with
> RTEMS enough as yet, I am unable to come up with a new idea myself.
>
> A little information about me:
> I'm a master's student in Computer Science at the Saarland University,
> Germany. My research interests are in Hard Real Time Systems,
> especially in providing hard bounds on WCET and Memory Requirements of
> algorithms being implemented. My Bachelor's Thesis was based on
> providing an analysis of the Read-Copy-Update Synchronization
> Primitive in a Hard Real Time context. Hence, RTEMS seems like a
> perfect match for me.

Given your background, you may also want to check out ticket #2510 on our Trac.