Error while adding usb ethernet driver

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jul 4 05:46:09 UTC 2016

On 03/07/16 06:56, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 30/06/2016 20:22, Deval Shah wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 3:12 AM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
>> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     It might pay for us to add these to an RTEMS header to make porting
>>     simpler.
>>
>> Can't we update our sys/net/if.c and sys/net/if_var.h files accourding
>> to new FreeBSD ?

I don't think its a good idea to selectively update random files of the
network stack core.

> I do not know. Currently we have a policy of keeping as much at the
> snapshot point as we can. Sebastian has looked at moving to FreeBSD 10
> and backed off doing so because it was more work than he could handle
> due to changes in FreeBSD 10.
>
> I am not against something like this being merged if the change is
> localised to just those files, it works, and the existing drivers
> work. If the change ripples out across the code base then it would be
> a problem.

Partial updates make it harder and harder to do a major update. I did
this for complete subsystems like SDCard/MMC/USB, however, doing this
for individual files is really a problem if want to update. The blocking
point for an easy update to FreeBSD 10 or 11 are the user space command
line programs like ifconfig and route. We need a better general approach
to deal with user space programs. We may have time to do an update later
this year.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de