Participation in GSoC 2016

Deval Shah deval.maker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:03:47 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Alan Cudmore <alan.cudmore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Deval,
> Your proposal looks good. I would suggest adding a step where you build a
> known BSP with BSD lib support. It will help you become familiar with the
> development process.

Thanks for the suggestion, Alan. I will be adding this to my proposal.
Also, which BSP would you recommend that I pick up ? Is there any list
of currently added BSPs from which I can choose?

> You should also address which Raspberry Pi model you will support. Now that
> there are so many Raspberry Pi models, it might make the project more
> complicated:
> Original raspberry Pi Model A & A+: a single built in USB port in the
> BCM2835 CPU. No ethernet or USB hub.
> Raspberry Pi Model B & B+: USB hub and Ethernet in LAN9512 chip.
> Raspberry Pi 2 Model B: USB hub and Ethernet in LAN9514 chip.
> Raspberry Pi 3 Model B:  I would not worry about this one yet.
> Raspberry Pi Zero: A single USB OTG port , no ethernet or USB hub.
>
> I would pick one of them and get it working before seeing if another model
> could be supported.
>
> If the Raspberry Pi 1/B+ and 2/B Hubs are functionally the same ( LAN9512
> vs. LAN9514 ), this would support the widest range of devices out there.

I was also thinking for that. I have a Raspberry PI 1/B+ and a
majority of users have either 1/B+ or 2/B. Probably we can start with
1/B+ and then enable the other models.

> If you have time, I would love to see USB support for the BCM2835 on the Pi
> Model A+ and especially the Pi Zero.

Sure, I had left some buffer time in my proposal, probably if things
goes as per plan that time can be used for USB support for the
BCM2835.