Ada support on gcc-6 broken again

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri May 27 14:19:33 UTC 2016

Did it again. :(

Two days of moving with a rental truck must have be rusty. :(

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Jan Sommer <soja-lists at aries.uberspace.de>
wrote:

> Am 2016-05-27 14:44, schrieb Joel Sherrill:
>
>> On May 27, 2016 7:17 AM, "Jan Sommer" <soja-lists at aries.uberspace.de>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> building the current tools (gcc-6) from master with Ada support fails.
>>> I will try to post the patch for that to gcc over the weekend (@Joel I
>>>
>> hope you don't mind me putting you CC for that).
>>
>> Please.cc me on it.
>>

> Will do.
>
> However as gcc-6.1 was just released a month ago, I guess it won't be
>>>
>> part of an official gcc-release anytime soon.
>>
>> Is this a patch that impacts just RTEMS specific file(s)? Only this
>> branch?
>>

> Yes it's just changing a couple of lines in s-osinte-rtems.ads.
> I haven't tried it with gcc-5 because RSB uses gcc-6 by default, but I
> could submit a patch for it too as it won't break anything.

gcc 5, 6 and master probably should have the patch.

4.9 is mated to 4.11 so we would likely be best to not apply it unless it
is needed
for 4.11 as well.

> It probably should have a gcc ticket.
>>
>> Could we keep the fix as a patch until the gcc-version of the RSB
>>>
>> includes it natively?
>>
>> I don't think the RSB builds Ada unless Chris slipped one by me. So it
>> doesn't matter unless it impacts other languages.
>>

> That's how I build the Ada compiler atm.
> First the standard toolchain, then rtems, then toolchain with --with-ada
> switch.

I think you can now build standard tool chain with Ada and then RTEMS.
Sebastian worked to get the FreeBSD networking .h files that are from POSIX
into newlib. That was the missing piece before and why you needed RTEMS
built in the middle.

If this doesn't work, then we want to know why. It would be a huge
improvement
to be able to do it in one sweep.

> But Ada likely does build now with just newlib and not needing RTEMS so
>> adding it to the RSB for the targets it builds ob would be good.
>>

> For the current RSB-config rtems is still necessary, but if that changes
> with the next library upgrade that would be nice.

With any luck, it just got a step easier. :)