Time to bump gcc on master?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Nov 11 16:01:05 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Sebastian Huber <

> ----- Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> schrieb:
> > On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Sebastian Huber <
> > sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> >
> > > For the libbsd update we need the November Newlib snapshot (or the
> > > release). I have also a libgomp (OpenMP) performance improvement in the
> > > queue, for this I need a future GCC snapshot.
> > >

> > Is the 20161025 snapshot that Jeff just posted OK? We can bump again
> > when something newer is available.
>
> The snapshot is in general, but not sufficient for the libbsd update. We
> can bump again, its not a problem.  I struggle currently a bit with the UMA
> after the FreeBSD update.
>
> OK. We can bump it again when that is settled. We just need to keep moving
forward on the tools so we don't accidentally trip across something when we
do bump and unnecessarily delay 4.12. It seems we are approaching a
good branch point.

> > So gcc 6.2 is not worth the trouble to update to? Are we looking at
> > a gcc pre-7 snapshot or pre-6.3? Between the new gcc
> > versioning and the "future GCC snapshot", I am not sure what
> > you want. GCC makes snapshots about once a week. Which
> > of these would you be wanting?
> >
> > ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/6-20161103/
>
> I would bump to the 6-20161103 snapshot.  We should switch to GCC 7 right
> after the branch on the master.
>
> I am building with 6-20161110 since that came out after I sent
the email.

I agree on switching to 7. We need to be on a real gcc release
especially to have a 4.12 release.

> > ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/7-20161106/
> >
> > With the assumption that we would be moving 4.12 to a released
> > version as soon as we can.
> >
> > I am happy to bump the RSB. I just want to make sure I know
> > where we need to go.

Building now.

mipstx39  gdb is requiring some work to fix bugs introduced but that's
really the reason why we bump periodically.