RISC-V interrupt vectoring

Hesham Almatary heshamelmatary at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 05:43:09 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Denis Obrezkov <denisobrezkov at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can have a look at riscv-pk [1] as a RISC-V reference how to
>> handle interrupts. RTEMS-wise, you can look at or1k and ARM code and
>> how the platform-dependent interrupt handling code is linked to
>> platform-independent one.
>>
>> mcause value can be used as an index to a software vector table that you
>> set up.
>>
>> Why do you need software interrupts? GSoC-wise, I thought the plan was
>> to develop UART/Console driver (which doesn't need interrupts), and
>> use simulated ticker, as a first step. Then it will be easier to
>> debug/proceed from there with interrupt handling code.
>
> I thought, I have to implement an interrupt console driver. Okay, then I am
> going to
> investigate a simulated ticker.
Yeah that can be done in later stages, for optimisation purposes. But
I think it's easier to implement it in polling mode first, just to get
things working, then you can easily move to interrupt-based
implementation. For example, if you've a polling console driver, you
can debug using printk, when developing the clock driver. Once you get
the clock driver working, you will have a more mature code for
interrupt handling, which enables you to very easily implement
interrupt-based UART driver.

--
Hesham