rsb only download option

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jun 14 00:42:33 UTC 2017

On 14/06/2017 01:18, punit vara wrote:

> Is there any way to download packages for rsb and then build locally
> rather than downloading while installing rsb ?
>
> If there is no option for only download , I would suggest to provide
> something like download all the packages required for rsb and then
> developer can install it locally.

To download just the source and not build anything you can use:

 $ ../source-builder/sb-set-builder --dry-run --with-download \
                                    --without-error-report \
                                    --without-release-url 4.12/rtems-all

The 'sources' and 'patches' directories will contain the source. Copy the
contents of both directories to a single directory, CD, DVD, server, where ever.
If done on the 4.11 branch the result should look something like:

https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/4.11/rc/4.11.2-rc4/sources/

You should then be able to use the option:

 --url=file://something/local/where/the/source/is

Releasing and deploying can use a VERSION file.

If you are deploying the RSB in an environment such as a project or company and
you wish to create a special version that is not a formal RTEMS release create a
'VERSION' file in the root directory of the RSB.

NOTES:
1. Please avoid using a release string that matches the RTEMS ones we use,
please use something that identifies the deployed release as something you own
and support. For example 4.12-pv1.
2. Only do this if you need to support a team on a common release point and you
are prepared to support the release yourself. Otherwise use git.

The format of the file can be seen by looking the RTEMS 4.11.2-rc4 RSB release.:

[version]
release = 4.11.2-rc4
release_path = https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/4.11/rc/4.11.2-rc4/sources

[hashes]
rtems-tools-4.11.2-rc4.tar.xz = sha512
023e8874f6ee3ef8493caf7e60dc4b6b4b95bd16c0d34080f5a316c03e0f08ee6fe6b7b2f0c8cbd025e3dbbe44e40ebb2f3f46613694d85c34c4b9795195dfc4
rtems-4.11.2-rc4.tar.xz = sha512
c7ec3d1e0f6e4c75caec6db8b53e2ef68754225d82b99fba2c2e9cc6ce6e36c4e8348f289a4ba4b3b2554953e402277ff2c9991c8d33de89546b719c0a2ee7d2

It is an INI format file. The 'hashes' section is used to manage the dependence
issues requiring a hash for the released version when the RSB has source links
that are git repos.

> Last time when I was gsoc student it
> used to take around 10-12 hours for building RSB. This idea could be
> helpful to students/developers lives in cities where internet
> connections are pretty low and still want to contribute to RTEMS
> organization.
>
> What do you guys think about this ?

This is something we need to support. Some companies have no or limited internet
support.

If you could test this and contribute with fixes and/or documentation that would
be awesome. I would welcome documentation for the RSB that details standalone
set ups and deployment.

Thank you for asking.