Unstable RTEMS 6 tool chain?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Dec 6 01:49:39 UTC 2018

On 05/12/2018 21:55, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 04/12/2018 04:37, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 03/12/2018 17:45, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> what about adding an unstable RTEMS 6 tool chain to the RSB which is
>>> automatically updated weekly? I would like to test the Newlib, Binutils, GCC and
>>> GDB head regularly. I could set up a cron job to check out the Git master each
>>> Sunday (RTEMS, Newlib, Binutils, GCC and GDB), update the RSB, build the tools,
>>> run the tests on erc32. If everything goes well push the change to RSB,
>>> otherwise report the problem.
>> This sounds fantastic. If you want to place the scripts in
>> https://git.rtems.org/chrisj/rtems-admin.git/ please let me know and I can make
>> sure the perms are ok.
>
> Should I create new files in rtems/config/tools for each tool snapshot or should
> I create in rtems/config/tools something like this
>
> rtems-gdb-latest.cfg
> rtems-binutils-latest.cfg
> rtems-gcc-latest-newlib-latest.cfg
>
> which are updated?

I think 'latest' is confusing. Is it the latest RSB release for RTEMS 5 or the
latest of the tool? rtems-gdb-head, rtems-gcc-6-newlib-head?

I added some support for something like this back in 2013 but it never went any
where. It should not be hard to update and improve to make it better to use. The
snapshots directory has some example files:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/rtems/config/snapshots

The idea is to use the maps feature of the macros to override the defaults in
the standard configurations so alternative sources are downloaded for the build.
You pass in the macro using the `--macros` command line option.

The MC format is really an internal macro format so I am wondering if an INI
file is used to create the map?