Compressed patch to move make/custom/* to make/*

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Feb 8 15:22:30 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Sebastian Huber <

> On 08/02/18 16:08, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 3:05 AM, Sebastian Huber <
>> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedd
>> ed-brains.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 08/02/18 09:11, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>
>>         On 08/02/18 01:00, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>>
>>             Hi
>>
>>             The patch was quite large and rightly blocked from being
>>             sent to
>>             everyone (~900k). Compressed, it is only 63K
>>
>>             This eliminates the custom directory and moves everything up
>>             one level.  No failures in the build as shown here.
>>
>>             https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2018-February/000398
>> .html
>>             <https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2018-February/00039
>> 8.html>
>>

>>         If we move this stuff, then why not to
>>
>>         bsps/@RTEMS_CPU/@RTEMS_BSP_FAMILY@/make
>>

>> OK. I can pick at that but what does from testsuites this change to?
>>
>> include $(RTEMS_ROOT)/make/custom/@RTEMS_BSP at .cfg
>>
>> Will RTEMS_ROOT need to change to something like $(top_srcdir)/...?
>>
>> Is there a Makefile.am variable that really points to the top of the
>> source tree?
>>
>> The other common pattern is
>>
>> include $(RTEMS_ROOT)/make/custom/default.cfg
>>
>> in all the BSP .cfg files? What will that need to be to work before and
>> after install?
>>
>> RTEMS_ROOT is the build tree and later the install point. I don't
>> know how to make that one work.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> No user should be forced to touch its Makefiles only because we move some
> files in the RTEMS source tree from A to B. So, I think the install
> location should remain as is.

I agree but I think you missed my point. The use in testsuites can be fixed
to point
to the source tree.  But if I change the includes in the "custom" files, I
have concerns
that it may not be possible to make it work in both when building and
installed.

./c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/altera-cyclone-v/make/custom/altcycv_devkit.cfg:include
$(RTEMS_ROOT)/make/custom/altcycv.inc
./c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/altera-cyclone-v/make/custom/altcycv_devkit_smp.cfg:include
$(RTEMS_ROOT)/make/custom/altcycv.inc
./c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/altera-cyclone-v/make/custom/altcycv.inc:include
$(RTEMS_ROOT)/make/custom/default.cfg

I just grep'ed for RTEMS_ROOT and it appears that I need to change the
definition
of where it points. It is mostly used to point to the custom files but this
looks
problematic:

/c/src/Makefile.am:    'RTEMS_BSP=@RTEMS_BSP@' 'RTEMS_ROOT=.' \
./c/src/configure.ac:RTEMS_ROOT=. make/${RTEMS_BSP}.cache

All the references in testsuites can be to top_srcdir. Easy to eliminate
RTEMS_ROOT
completely I think in there. But what should RTEMS_ROOT be set to in
c/src/configure.ac to make it work? What variable has the top of the source
tree?

I guess $(top_srcdir)/../..?

Thoughts?