RSB release's default mode for building kernels

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 16 22:35:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current mode on all release branches is to build the RTEMS kernel. The
> purpose was to have a single command that builds the tools and RTEMS.
> However
> this means all BSPs for an architecture are built and this is not practical
> because it slows a build and uses a larger amount of disk space when an
> architecture has a larger number of BSPs so I am wondering if the default
> is
> reversed.

I think RTEMS itself should not be built as part of the tools.

You can't win. You are building BSPs that are not wanted, likely in a
configuration that isn't the users, and not being able to test on end user
hardware while doing it.  Best not to build them. Users expect to build
their own RTEMS and we need to encourage them to test and report.

--joel