no-preinstall: Architecture-specific header files

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Jan 23 09:17:35 UTC 2018

On 22/01/18 22:03, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 19/1/18 6:21 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> the architecture-specific header files are currently in:
>>
>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> cpukit/score/cpu/sparc/rtems/score/cpu.h
>>
>> The new include directory for architecture-specific header files after the
>> preinstall removal is:
>>
>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> cpukit/score/cpu/sparc/include/rtems/score/cpu.h
>>
>> There are two problems with this.
>>
>> 1. It introduces yet another sub-directory and makes the path longer.
>>
>> 2. It moves header files which are in this place since 1999. Using
>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@ as the include directory would avoid this.
>>
> Thank you for raising this. It is bit inconsistent.
>
>> This should be the last time we move header files around. It is very easy to
>> move include directories in the no-preinstall branch.
>>
>> Other options for architecture-specific header files are:
>>
>> cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@
> If this has source files and maybe private headers we should not add use this path.

There are no private header files, e.g.

find cpukit/score/cpu/ -name '*.h' | grep -v include

finds nothing in the no-preinstall branch.

There are source files in cpukit/score/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU at .

>> cpukit/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>
>> cpukit/arch/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>
>> cpukit/cpu/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>
>> cpukit/include/@RTEMS_CPU@
> I think this is a good place but I am concerned about 2 -I paths, one a sub path
> of another. Is that a problem?

You can find some header files via two paths, e.g.

#include <powerpc/rtems/score/cpu.h>
#include <rtems/score/cpu.h>

I am not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

>> arch/@RTEMS_CPU@/include
>>
>> include/@RTEMS_CPU@
>>
>> The general include files are now in:
>>
>> cpukit/include
>>
>> Another option would be:
>>
>> include
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
> I am not sure.

We can postpone the cpukit/score/cpu header file move. It is not
necessary for the preinstall removal.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de