[GSOC - Tracing] Status Update

Vidushi Vashishth reachvidu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 02:20:14 UTC 2018

> 3. Clearly document your modifications in separate commit messages.

> 4. Add a Makefile to build it automatically.

I will push commits to a fork of the rtems. Have given a link to the
repository in the readme.md of the Tracing repo. Will that be okay?

> 6. Document the steps involved in the tracing, e.g. trace data generation
on the RTEMS target, transfer of the data to the development host,
conversion of trace data in format X to Y using tool Z, etc. Document the
interfaces between the different steps and what runs on the RTEMS target
and what runs on the development host.

Done

> To get the trace data from the simulator to the development host, you can
just dump the data via printf() and parse it on the host. This is slow, but
enough for a test scenario.

I have tested the babeltrace conversion by saving the console output to a
text file on host manually (https://vidushivashishth.github.io/eighthpost/).
Can I use sockets to transport the traces from target to host instead? Will
that be feasible? I have already created a client and server side program
and tested a text file transfer. This is working.

> Either we should use barectf to generate CTF traces in RTEMS, we
> should implement our own CTF generator in RTEMS, or we should provide
> a converter for running babeltrace on a host (Linux/MacOS/etc) to
> convert from RTEMS trace linker format to CTF.

I am implementing the last option.