[GSOC - Tracing] Status Update

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Jul 3 06:09:51 UTC 2018

On 03/07/18 04:20, Vidushi Vashishth wrote:
> > 3. Clearly document your modifications in separate commit messages.
>
> > 4. Add a Makefile to build it automatically.
>
> I will push commits to a fork of the rtems. Have given a link to the
> repository in the readme.md of the Tracing repo. Will that be okay?
>
> > 6. Document the steps involved in the tracing, e.g. trace data
> generation on the RTEMS target, transfer of the data to the
> development host, conversion of trace data in format X to Y using tool
> Z, etc. Document the interfaces between the different steps and what
> runs on the RTEMS target and what runs on the development host.
>
> Done

Ok, thanks, but why did you remove the RTEMS application? This is the
first step. The repository should contain a sample application with a
Makefile (or waf or whatever, but no manual steps) to generate a sample
trace raw data.

> > To get the trace data from the simulator to the development host, you can just dump
> the data via printf() and parse it on the host. This is slow, but
> enough for a test scenario.
>
> I have tested the babeltrace conversion by saving the console output
> to a text file on host manually
> (https://vidushivashishth.github.io/eighthpost/).

Could you please integrate the content of this blog post in the
repository and automate the manual steps in it.

> Can I use sockets to transport the traces from target to host instead?
> Will that be feasible? I have already created a client and server side
> program and tested a text file transfer. This is working.

You can communicate via sockets on some simulator BSPs, however, in the
scope and state of the current project, I think this is not feasible.

> > Either we should use barectf to generate CTF traces in RTEMS, we
> > should implement our own CTF generator in RTEMS, or we should provide
> > a converter for running babeltrace on a host (Linux/MacOS/etc) to
> > convert from RTEMS trace linker format to CTF.
>
> I am implementing the last option.

Before you implement anything, could you please first outline what you
want to do.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de