[GSOC - Tracing] Status Update

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jul 4 05:12:52 UTC 2018

On 03/07/18 14:50, Vidushi Vashishth wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Ok, thanks, but why did you remove the RTEMS application? This is
> the first step. The repository should contain a sample application
> with a Makefile (or waf or whatever, but no manual steps) to generate
> a sample trace raw data.
>
> I was testing everything on the fileio sample test case which is
> already a part of the rtems repository. I have written the
> instructions to generate the trace in the readme file for this
> testcase. I could create a new application and add its makefile too if
> this seems too lengthy.

Yes, please add an example application which generates some trace data
and outputs this to the console. Please add also a simple Makefile to
build it.

> > Could you please integrate the content of this blog post in the
> repository and automate the manual steps in it.
>
> Yes I am working on it.
>
> > You can communicate via sockets on some simulator BSPs, however, in
> the scope and state of the current project, I think this is not feasible.
>
> Alright I will stick to what you proposed. I however also have to work
> on transportation mechanisms to transfer trace buffers from the
> target/capture engine to the host. I can begin working on the socket
> approach after I am done with CTF?

We should get first the prototype ready. The prototype should look like
this from my point of view: sample application -> trace output > convert
-> display in Trace Compass. Once we have this prototype we can decide
what can be made better within the scope of the project.

You don't have to output plain text data to the console, you may also
output XML, some binary format, an uuencoded binary or whatever. If the
current output makes it difficult for you, then you can change its
format. This should be discussed on the mailing list. This may end up in
some RTEMS patches.

> > Before you implement anything, could you please first outline what
> you want to do.
>
> The general flow of this approach will be as follows:
>
>  1. Generation of RTEMS trace.
>  2. Transportation of the generated trace to the host machine.
>  3. Conversion of transported traces to CTF using babeltrace scripts.
>  4. Viewing the converted output (CTF).
>
> I had documented this in the readme of the Tracing repository also.
> Does this seem okay?

The steps are all right. Please add also some content to the steps, e.g.

* alternatives
* pros and cons
* what works and what doesn't
* lessons learnt