[GSoC - x86_64 port] Status update - June 21

Amaan Cheval amaan.cheval at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 12:43:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 5:42 PM, Amaan Cheval <amaan.cheval at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In lieu of our weekly meeting, here's a quick status update. The past
> week, I worked on:
> - Making FreeBSD's bootloader load a custom ELF kernel, and then RTEMS
> static binaries
> - Fixing cpu.h up to reflect the x86_64 feature set
> - Fixing the linker script up for my stub to allow for sysinit
> functions to be included and called
> - WIP: Context initialization and switching code
>
> Next up (estimating 2 weeks until complete):
> - Finish all of the RTEMS initialization required to get to bsp_start
> successfully (for eg. it seems like sysinit calls filesystem
> initialization routines, which I'm stubbing out for now, but will need
> to implement to avoid having the testsuite end up throwing
> "rtems_fatal_error_occurred".

Quick update to my update - we're already reaching bsp_start since
it's called through the sysinit functions. What I meant was getting to
the user's Init task - i.e. going through stubs of the entire
initialization chain as much as is possible, and hitting the
user-defined Init task.

Once that's done, I'll be filling in the stub with working / minimal
code enough to get the console working and hello.exe passing.