[GSOC - Tracing] Status Update

Vidushi Vashishth reachvidu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 05:42:46 UTC 2018

>which use case does this address? What is the connection to an RTEMS
application?
This converts the trace buffering of the fileio sample testcase output to
CTF. This pertains to the function tracing testcase. The CTF stream
generated records the entry and exit of the calloc, malloc, realloc and
free functions and also the values of the arguments and return values.

>Why do I need sudo to run the commands?
The command needs permission to create a directory for the traces. The
command did not work without this.

>Why do I need your babeltrace? Not being able to use a tool from a
standard distribution makes it harder to do RTEMS tracing.
I wanted to work on integrating barectf with RTEMS trace linker instead. I
documented the approach in: https://vidushivashishth.github.io/sixthpost/.
I was stuck on deciding the yaml configuration input for the process and
sent out an email for this discussion on the mailing list as well. I have
however finally created one. I can continue work on the barectf approach if
that is okay with you? I will start a new thread on this with the
configuration file I have chosen?

>What can I do with a metadata stream and the CTF trace stream?
These can be transported to the host and then viewed using Trace Compass.

I lost some time trying to figure things out on my own. I will be more
frequent in communicating places where I am stuck. Apologies for the same.