[GSOC - Tracing] Status Update

Vidushi Vashishth reachvidu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:44:17 UTC 2018

> >Could you please create a self-contained repository which contains
>>
>> >* a README
>>
>> >* a simple RTEMS application which runs on a simulator BSP
>>
>> >* the stuff that makes it possible to view the trace output (it is not a
>> problem if it doesn't work, but all pieces should be included)
>>
>> >The repository should not be a clone of some larger project. It may
>> contain external references as submodules.
>>
>> Okay. Got it. I will update you when its done.
>>

> Ok, do you have a time estimate for this? Which parts are missing?

Viewing the trace output is buggy right now. I will have to combine the
rest. I will push the required things in the repository by end of today and
notify you.

> Is visualization with Trace Compass a goal of this project?
>>
>> No it isn't. Trace generation in CTF is a goal.
>>

> What are the consumers of this CTF? Why do we need it? What is the benefit
> for the RTEMS users?

CTF allows traces to be natively generated by any C/C++ application or
system, as well as by bare-metal (hardware) components. CTF is a flexible
tracing format with a range of configurable datatypes. This allows CTF to
describe any binary structure. Also since CTF is a binary trace format it
is faster to write. The post processing (eg Trace Compass) and real time
monitoring tools available with it are valuable.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Sebastian Huber <