Misplaced Directories?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu May 3 01:55:27 UTC 2018

On 02/05/2018 21:25, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 02/05/18 13:18, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> On Wed, May 2, 2018, 12:13 AM Sebastian Huber
>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>>     > I think that's it from my notes. Any comments or thoughts?
>>
>>     I would leave the source files in cpukit where they are. A proper
>>     file
>>     history is more important than a fancy directory layout from my
>>     point of
>>     view
>>
>> Doesn't got keep history with moves and renames?
>
> It works to some extent. You usually need a --follow command line option. It is
> not completely transparent.

I think not allowing code movement in the cpukit as a rule is too restrictive. I
do not support such a restriction. I think code can be moved in the cpukit tree.

I would have questioned the 'dev' tree being added if I knew this restriction
existed. I think adding 'dev' is a good change and we should look to move parts
that existed before it was created into it. I think a sensible layout is worth
more than the linear history for _those_ pieces of code.

The RTEMS code base is old and if we had not moved files we would be in a tragic
place. The moving of the headers and BSP code is a good example of why we need
to move source and the threshold for those files to move was higher than the
need for a clean history. We need to be smart about what we move, why we want to
move things and when. The threshold to move files in rtems, sapi and score is
very high. This does not rule out moving files in those directories, it just
means we need to balance the cost/benefit ratio when deciding. A clean history
for those directories and files is important and highly rated.

Give the extent of code moved for RTEMS 5 I am OK with the directories Joel has
listed moving. I welcome the cpukit being cleaned up.

Chris

ps Please reconsider using terms like "fancy directory layout", it is not
helpful in a discussion about moving files after you have moved most of the
c/src (which is a fantastic thing to have happened).