Errors returned while building a SPARC tool set

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu May 10 15:02:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:28 AM, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 10/5/18 4:47 am, Danxue Huang wrote:
> > Hi Dr. Johns,
>
> Hi, please feel free to use Chris. And thanks for the promotion to Dr but
> Joel
> and Gedare are the esteemed doctors :)
>
> > I just got a new laptop (Windows) and I got stuck on building a SPARC
> tool set
> > using Ubuntu in Virtual Box. To build a SPARC tool set, I use the
> command as below.
> >
> > ../source-builder/sb-set-builder --log=1-sparc.txt
> > --prefix=$HOME/development/rtems config/5/rtems-sparc64.bset
> >
> > Is there anything wrong in it? After I input this command, it kept
> building for
> > an hour but finally returned "Build FAILED", errors returned as follows.
> >
> > error: building sparc-rtems5-gdb-8.0.1-x86_64-linux-gnu-1
> >
> > I also attached l-sparc.txt which is used to build a SPARC tool set, I
> would
> > appreciate that if you can do me a favor to check it.
> >

> I assume this is in a VM because it is Windows. Is that true? Are you
> sharing
> disk space with the Windows host in the VM? This can sometime do weird
> things
> when building the tools.

I don't see the attached file but my recollection is that you need
development
packages for Python, ncurses, and libz. Did you follow the instructions
here?

https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/chrisj/doc-online/4.11/rsb/hosts.html#xubuntu

I recall there is a slight variation on those commands for Ubuntu 17 but I
don't have notes on it. It would be good to get the doc updated for that.

And I see you building rtems-sparc64. You probably really mean to build
rtems-sparc.
That's the target with the simulator in gdb. sparc64 is for higher end
SPARC systems
and the BSPs tend to be for Sun hardwre. I don't think anyone has ever
gotten a
free simulator to work with sparc64.