Fwd: GDB fails to build with Python 3.7

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue May 29 12:44:55 UTC 2018

Is this the Ubuntu issue reported?

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon at redhat.com>
Date: Tue, May 29, 2018, 6:38 AM
Subject: GDB fails to build with Python 3.7
To: <gdb at sourceware.org>

Currently GDB fails to build with Python 3.7

https://bugs.python.org/issue33470

This is because we use an internal Python API:

#ifdef IS_PY3K
  gdb_module = PyModule_Create (&python_GdbModuleDef);
  /* Add _gdb module to the list of known built-in modules.  */
  _PyImport_FixupBuiltin (gdb_module, "_gdb");
#else
  gdb_module = Py_InitModule ("_gdb", python_GdbMethods);
#endif

(the _PyImport_FixupBuiltin in python.c).

This internal API has been changed. According to the advice of the Python
maintainers we should never have used it in the first place. I didn't
add this (at least I don't think I did!), so I'm asking whomever
authored that code to please change it to be 3.7 compatible. I'm not
sure what the code achieves so I'm reluctant to touch it in case of
breakages on platforms I don't have easily access to.

Cheers

Phil