No program named Python

Christian Mauderer christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de
Tue Oct 2 13:41:26 UTC 2018

Am 02.10.18 um 13:20 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018, 11:52 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/10/2018 09:08, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>     >
>     > It could be a system administration issue I don't know how to
>     resolve yet but
>     > during recent Kick Starts, both Ubuntu abd msys2 have ended up
>     with no program
>     > named python. There can be a python2.x or python3.x. On Ubuntu, I
>     hacked and
>     > symlinked python2.x to python. This didn't work on msys2.
>     >
>     > Given I have seen this issue on two different platforms, I wanted
>     to report this
>     > and see if anyone had any insight.
>     >

>     On Ubuntu I have:
>
>      $ file /usr/bin/python
>      /usr/bin/python: symbolic link to python2.7
>      $ apt-file search /usr/bin/python | grep "/usr/bin/python$"
>      python-minimal: /usr/bin/python
>
>     This looks like a packaging issue on Ubuntu.
>

> Grr..I added a second link by hand.
>

>     On MSYS2 I do not know.
>

> I tried a fresh MSYS2 yesterday.
>
> We need to watch out for this and see if there is a trend.
>

>     Chris

Hello Joel and Chris,

the official end of live date for Python 2 is 01.01.2020 (see
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#maintenance-releases). So I
would say that it's not unlikely that some distributions start to
experiment with dropping the symlink "python" to find incompatible scripts.

Best regards

Christian
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Christian Mauderer