No program named Python

Ralf Corsépius rc051209 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 2 15:26:57 UTC 2018

On 10/2/18 3:41 PM, Christian Mauderer wrote:
 > Am 02.10.18 um 13:20 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

 >> We need to watch out for this and see if there is a trend.

Upstream python decided to drop */bin/python and to mandate
*/bin/python2 rsp. */bin/python3.

Older distros still have */bin/python, most modern distros still provide
*/bin/python for backward compatibility, but sooner or later
*/bin/python will likely be removed everywhere.

 > the official end of live date for Python 2 is 01.01.2020 (see
 > https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/#maintenance-releases). So I
 > would say that it's not unlikely that some distributions start to
 > experiment with dropping the symlink "python" to find incompatible
scripts.
Correct, distros are about to drop the "python" symlink and python-2.x.

E.g. the next Fedora release (Fedora 29, scheduled to be released very
soonish) dropped the python symlink and has begun to remove python-2.
Python-2 is not unlikely to be completely removed in from Fedora with
the release after Fedora 29 (Fedora 30. Spring/Summer 2019)

Ralf