Zynq driver development strategy

Mathew Benson mbenson at windhoverlabs.com
Wed Dec 4 16:45:47 UTC 2019

Is there any technical or legal (licensing) reason why I can't just
integrate the driver code generated by the Xilinx XSDK tool when building a
standalone or FreeRTOS project?  It's the same code for both.  I did a
dependency check and, assuming I didn't miss any externs or implicit
declarations, the SPI driver code is highly coherent and loosely coupled
with the rest of the code.  I only have to bring in a few files that were
not SPI specific.  It looks like I just need to basically write a simple
interface layer between RTEMS and the Xilinx code and the functionality
seems fairly complementary.  Over about 15 minutes, I added the SPI driver
code to my Zynq BSP build and it built with no errors or warnings.  I
haven't got to actually integrating the RTEMS SPI driver API to the Xilinx
SPI driver API yet.  This seems like a clear and concise strategy.  Am I
going to run into a roadblock later?  Either for my own project or as a
give back to the RTEMS base code.

--
*Mathew Benson*
CEO | Chief Engineer