Placement of new unit and validation tests?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Dec 12 13:56:19 UTC 2019

Hello,

I would like to write new test cases and programs using the RTEMS Test
Framework:

https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/eng/test-framework.html

There will be two sets of tests. One set are unit tests. The other set
are validation tests. The validation tests check that the implementation
meets its requirements. The unit tests don't need a link to
requirements. They can be used to test internal APIs like the chains,
red-black trees, etc. independent of requirements.

I suggest to add "testsuites/unit" for unit tests and
"testsuites/validation" for validation tests.

For validation tests we need a link from test cases to requirements.
This needs to be discussed separately.

With the RTEMS Test Framework test cases can be written independently
from the test runner program defining the test suite. This could be used
for example to run a test case in different contexts. Another option is
to group test cases depending on the available RAM in the target system,
e.g. bigger systems can execute more test cases at once. This gives
raise to a different organization compared to the existing tests programs.

I suggest to add topic directories to "testsuites/unit" and
"testsuites/validation", e.g. "testsuites/unit/chains". Test case files
use a naming scheme of "tc-${topic}-${name}.c" and are placed in the
corresponding topic directory.  Test suite files use a naming scheme of
"ts-${name}.c" and are placed in "testsuites/unit" or
"testsuites/validation".

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de