Requirement Document generator tool

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Dec 13 19:09:00 UTC 2019

On 14/12/19 3:09 am, Jose Valdez wrote:
> In the scope of ESA’s RTEMS SMP project, we are developing a tool which will
> allow to generate RTEMS software documentation

I assume this is the pre-qual effort.

> (Requirements, Design, Test Specification and other software documents).

How do these documents relate to the project's current documentation? It may
help to explain the purpose of each of these documents and the target user.

> Our first task will be to develop and integrate the SRS Manager into RTEMS
> project.

What does SRS mean? What is it managing?

Could you please explain in more detail how you are planing to do the
development? As an open source project we prefer to see things that end up in
RTEMS being developed publicly and on our devel@ list. It makes the process of
merging smoother.

> This SRS Manager reads requirements written in doorstop format (each
> topic is a doorstop document) and produces the SRS document according with ECSS
> format (the output of the tool are sphinx files, which then are compiled to pdf
> document).

I do not understand what is meant by "doorstop document"? A work flow may help
where we see the types of data used. I ask this because a document generator
needs to have the requirements data being held somewhere and I do not know where
that is.

Does the tool generate ReST format output?

Is the ECSS format a template given to sphinx? We would need to be able to
support other formats.

We typically require HTML _and_ PDF.

> Could you indicate how I can integrate our tool into RTEMS git repository?

Commit access to the repositories is given to people who work with the project
and are active for a period of time. You will need to post changes and get the
support of a core development before the code can be merged.

> Should be in rtems-tools? If so, in which place?

I think this is the best place given the information I have. I would need to
have more detail before I could provide any specific direction here.

I would like to clearly state I fully support the pre-qual effort and I thank
ESA for making this happen. It is exciting for RTEMS to have this activity.