Conversion of BSP config files to pkg-config files

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 20:29:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 06:30, Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 21/1/19 10:46 pm, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> >
> > I want to work on the ticket #3302 <https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3302>
> as a
> > summer project.
>
> Great.
>
> > The goal of the project is to convert the BSP cfg files from `make`
> format to the
> > pkg-config (.pc) format.
>
> The goal is to be able to *create* complete and useful .pc files. I am not
> sure
> if the RTEMS build system could be turned around to use .pc, it may, but
> until
> then I suggest we convert the .cfg files in the BSPS to .pc files.
>
> > The approach would be to first make all the flags and
> > Makefile macros used in the bsp .cfg files, consistent. Since the
> problem is
> > complex and a huge number of files are there to deal with, I'll first
> manually
> > look into a few bsps and then move forward to write a parser in python
> > to parse and compare the .cfg files of different BSPs. Once we get a
> consistent
> > format for the .cfg files, we'll move on to generate the .pc files for
> the bsps.
>
> This seems like a sensible approach.
>
> > I seek some guidance and discussion on the project to get started with
> it.
>
> I think the first step is to look at the existing .cfg files and to see
> what is
> happening. It will take time and is a bit boring but I feel you will
> quickly see
> which ones have major differences. I lot of files are copies so I suspect
> they
> will fall into patterns or groups.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in starting with this.

I went through a few BSP cfg files, for example, the leon3

Are we planning to write something like this for each BSPs ? ...
=================
prefix=@prefix@
exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
libdir=@libdir@
includedir=@includedir@

CFLAGS=@CFLAGS@
RTEMS_BSP=@RTEMS_BSP@

Name: @RTEMS_BSP@
Version: @VERSION@
Libs:
Cflags: -O2 -g -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

every BSP configuration file includes default.cfg, how will this be
included in the *.pc files?