AW: GSoC Project | Basic support for Trace Compass

Jan.Sommer at dlr.de Jan.Sommer at dlr.de
Wed Jul 10 12:27:08 UTC 2019

Hi Ravindra,

I have only had a look at the documentation and not worked with CTF at all so far, so take my words with a grain of salt.
I don’t really get why you define 32 different streams in your metadata which means you have to copy the event definition as well 32 times.
This amount of duplication seems inflexible and with a lot of overhead, so I would assume there is a more elegant way.

If I understand the documentation correctly, then you can have multiple files containing data of a single stream (type). You just need the proper headers at the beginning of each file.
If you have one trace file per CPU, which all generate the same types of events and only differ regarding the respective cpu id, isn’t something like in the examples of the CTF documentation possible (https://diamon.org/ctf/#ex-packet-context) ?
Then, each file would contain one “ctf packet” where the packet header defines the cpu id and then a consecutive list of the events of this cpu.

Also, in your previous metadata description it looks like you already encode the cpu id as part of the event header, so why then the duplication? And why was the cpu id in the event header, shouldn’t it be in the event context?

Sebastian mentioned a more complex format necessary for the TraceCompass application. I have not checked this.

Best regards,

   Jan