GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 10:02:22 UTC 2019

> Just to make sure we have a common understanding of the task. Could you
> please explain the task with your ideas to implement it in your own works?

Sure.
As of now, we have to deal with 10-bit event number. This is the same event
recording infrastructure is using.

We have to turn record-client into something like this:

target --> TCP stream with struct rtems_record_items -> client ->
conversion -> CTF (metadata + event stream) -> files -> babeltrace ->
human readable text

Here in CTF (metadata + event stream), is event stream the same Event
Recording infrastructure producing or is it a new event stream we have to
make target to produce?

I am not sure how we have to store the event stream in a file? I once used
nc(1) to store in the disk but the stored file didn't seem useful for work.

The first objective is to create metadata and figure out how babeltrace
reads an arbitrary CTF session(CTF+event stream).

Then next modify print_item() in misc/record/record-main.c and change
client_item to:

typedef struct {
   uint64_t                     ns;
   uint32_t                     cpu;
   rtems_record_event           event;
   uint64_t                     data;
} ctf_event;

This is just one event. We have to append this item one by one in a file.
This file will be called event stream file.

If everything goes well then the next step would be just importing the
metadata and event stream in babeltrace and print its human-readable form.

--
*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,