Project for GSoC 2019

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Thu Mar 7 16:40:48 UTC 2019

Am 07.03.19 um 15:18 schrieb Gedare Bloom:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 8:45 AM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/03/2019 22:39, Vaibhav Gupta wrote:
>     > After suggestions and response from Sebastian, Christian and Udit I
>     > started to explore the following ticket:
>     >
>     > #3338 : Port CHFS to RTEMS : https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3338
>     >
>     > Sebastian, even mentioned, that it can become a very good project for
>     > GSoC 2019.
>
>     I said that it is suitable as a GSoC project if you find a mentor. I am
>     a bit concerned about the upstream activity of this file system. Looks
>     like a dead project to me. Maybe we should ask on the NetBSD mailing
>     list about its status.
>
>     >

> Assessing whether the upstream is alive would be the first step.
>
> The commit history is not promising, it looks like mostly basic
> maintenance for several years:
>  https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commits/trunk/sys/ufs/chfs

Hello,

I agree that the commit history is not really the best sign. Maybe you
should also have a look at whether there are open chfs bugs at the
NetBSD bug tracking system.

But even if that file system is not available: RTEMS can profit from
some others too. You could try to have a look at writing a layer to
interface with the file systems in FreeBSD (would be a libbsd project -
note that this would require quite some work and a good basic knowledge).

Alternatively if you are specially interested in flash file systems,
maybe one on the list on Wikipedia has an open source license (ideally
BSD or MIT):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems#File_systems_optimized_for_flash_memory.2C_solid_state_media

We currently have support for JFFS2 and YAFFS when it comes to flash
file systems. For normal disks there is mostly FAT and the RTEMS file
system (RFS).

Best regards

Christian