GSoC: Guidance for POSIX Compilance

Vaibhav Gupta vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 11:17:54 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 2:10 PM Aditya Upadhyay <aadit0402 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vaibhav,
>
> I saw your doubts on devel mailing list regarding the newlib-c.
> These are the points, you should know about newlib c and
> why does most embedded system use newlib c as runtime library.
>
> newlib c is used to provide supports to the different platforms and
> architecute specific compilers.
> For example:
> if you have a compiled binary and that you want to run it on a
> particular platform
> then this newlib c is used by compiler to invoke some of the built-in
> functions
> in that runtime environment.
> Some low level routines are defined inside the newlib-cygwin that provides
> architecture support. For example: Stack, Heap, memory management,
> interrupt facilities is
> defined in the newlib c and these implementation is architecture dependent.
>
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:02 AM Vaibhav Gupta <vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Aditya,
> >
> > First of all Congratulations for your successful completion of POSIX
> Compilance Project in RTEMS in 2017.
> > .
> > I read your proposal and its impressive. You seem to have done lot of
> homework on RTEMS that
> > time.
> > .
> > I am a 2nd year student from JIIT Noida and I am preparing to take same
> project (POSIX Compilance) this year for GSoC.
> > .
> > I had doubts and asked them on mailing list, then Gedare suggested me to
> take advice from you as you also went with same processes at your time
> which I am facing now.
> > .
> For more, You can look into this:
>
> https://www.embedded.com/design/prototyping-and-development/4024867/Embedding-with-GNU-Newlib
> Above link will help you to understand other term like reentrancy concept
> when you will be going to provide supports in the multi-threaded
> environment.
> To understand licensing terms, You can refer here. It will help to
> figure out the
> difference between the glibc, newlibc, klibc etc..
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/native-client-discuss/_OAQsL77kPQ
>
> > It would be great if you can help me out.
> >
> I would encourage you to test this inttypes test suite code, What
> I have not yet committed. You just need to change some copyrights things.
> It would be appreciated if you send a patch on devel. It will help you to
> understand the code flow and relation between the newlib c and rtems.
> inttypes methods test suite location:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vnb0KBhkYLTPzbRJPMuwsnyWLP694VAa

I did try to run it with following command:
sparc-rtems5-gcc -B/home/varodek/development/rtems/5/sparc-rtems5/erc32/lib
-specs bsp_specs -qrtems -mcpu=cypress -O2 -g -ffunction-sections
-fdata-sections -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wimplicit-function-declaration
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wl,--gc-sections -mcpu=cypress init.c

it gives me error:

init.c:9:10: fatal error: tmacros.h: No such file or directory
 #include <tmacros.h>
compilation terminated.

Though the headerfile is located at
/home/varodek/development/rtems/kernel/rtems/testsuites/support/include/tmacros.h