Design Tools for RTEMS Qualification Toolchain

Jose Valdez Jose.Valdez at edisoft.pt
Mon Mar 25 17:20:25 UTC 2019

Hello Joel,

Thank you for your reply.

I meant by design tools, UML tools (I am targeting component and sequence diagrams). It seems that you meant that you consider design tools the ones that are able to produce code from the design. Indeed was not with that goal in mind, because:

è RTEMS source code is already defined (although this would not be a critical point, since reverse engineering would be possible, like will do the doxygen)

è As far as I know, most of these tools target code production for object-oriented languages. This is not the case for RTEMS.

What do you mean by a use-case? An example? I tried to quick capture the main features of the tools and their applicability to our project and, as you may read in the previous e-mail, the PlantUML and blockdiag are the far the most suitable.

I agree with the approach to generate detail design data from source code and then for the top level architecture, to use the Design selected tool. Of course part of the work will be to incorporate functionality that if an architectural change in the code is made, the user shall be warned to update the Architectural Design. This shall be done by linking (traceability) architectural components source code (that’s why defining architectural components in text files will be useful).

Best regards

José